Monday, January 02, 2006

Friday's Teaching (archived)

Yesterday's useful addition: KA NA SAI

HUM-PALANG originates from Cantonese, but Hokkien-speaking people have modified its use to suit their everyday lives. Read my entry for its proper application.

Special thanks to Jeremy C for doing such a generous intro for Sisuahlai's Hokkipedia on his blog. Pai-seh. I am beginning to receive some strange emails from your blogitors.

Thank you also for your comments and suggestions. SilveRaven, I won't be able to attend the Kuching Blogger Meet, because I am not in Kuching this month, and strictly speaking, I am not a Blogger, and I also shy-shy. Bloggers talk about their lives, their adventures, I just talk about my adventures with Hokkien words. FH2O, I just want my friends to understand why I am so proud of Kuching Hokkien dialect, so must have a tribute site for this dialect. m.o.t.t., I hope your sons will grow up and take over my writing, I am beginning to run out of interesting Hokkien words (no-la, just joking, Hokkien so rich, how can run out so soon). Edison, grateful for your suggestion, tang-kee-yuk very much. Q, my good pengyiu, after your e-mail comment, I become so damn pai-seh, so I include your comment small-small ok? (I want to correct your comment too) your new blog is damn funny. Its good. Seriously. The concept, the illustration/example you give with you definitions are excellent. You've got the potential to be bigger than Kenny Sia.

Q, I damn pai-seh, man. You think I can be bigger than Kenny? I disagree with you, I don't think I'm ever gonna be bigger than him. See this picture for the conclusive proof...

14 Comments:

Blogger 5xmom.com said...

I speak Penang Hokkien and can't figure out what is kanasai that is often spoken by KL Hikkiens. Si ha mik eh?

January 17, 2006 10:32 AM  
Blogger E said...

Ka Na Sai la... means rite... jus like crap/feaces/or sh*t if u must.

January 17, 2006 5:39 PM  
Blogger E said...

BTW... no wei... i want Keh Liao... not NEthing on d list... :Þ

January 17, 2006 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Edison, will do your keh liao soon. Thank you for your suggestion. You can post more ideas on the chat side-menu.

January 17, 2006 6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

phew! now my sons can finally learn some hokkien! father si hokkein, but don't want to teach. Mother si hokchiew.. but don't know how to speaking...so, thank you for your site..!

January 17, 2006 7:30 PM  
Blogger silveraven said...

heyz,

lu ai lai kuching bloggers meet mai?

grr, my written hokkien is horrible. you comming for the bloggers meet?

January 17, 2006 8:41 PM  
Blogger Francis Ho said...

wah! kia si lung! oo ar nay kuan a site pun oo!!

translation - OMG! There is really such a site! Keep it up!

January 17, 2006 9:47 PM  
Blogger Jeremy C said...

Hey, what happened to some of the hokkien phrases that i proposed?

ie Kong Tua Pau
Kong Hay Uar
Bin Chi Chi
Kar Cherng Chio

January 18, 2006 11:18 AM  
Blogger Wuching said...

this place is full of hokkien lang! we should just write in hokkien from now on!

January 18, 2006 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bay tahan lar.. chin ho eh site... haiya.. wa ta tiok sokong lu eh.... mien kia...
ho ki la!!!

kakakka
but hamik su kong wa hiau? si sua kong... ceh... ho lu idea pun ho lu kong ane.. :( haiz..

January 18, 2006 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you jeremy_c for doing an intro on this site on your blog. Shame, that one of your blogitors was unable to leave her comment here. Never mind, so long as she is learning, I'm happy. One of your blogitors said I am quite funny... "quite funny"? What does she mean?! I am a tee-cze (teacher in my accent), I don't do funny-funny business one. Haiz.

January 18, 2006 9:25 PM  
Blogger Pink Cotton said...

omg!!!love ur site!!!
i m a pro-kuching-hokkien person too~! ;)

January 18, 2006 9:53 PM  
Blogger Jeff Yeoh said...

wa lan eh... jit eh site sibei shiok... tapi wa si johor hokkien lang... wu si kua lu sia eh mi kia buay beng pek leh...

lu lang kuching wu kong "si mi lan jiao" eh boh??? ah si, tai ge chor lorh liao? Buay sai pang lu eh blog? haha...

January 19, 2006 9:55 AM  
Blogger E said...

jeff yeoh: eh... y dun u start a Johor hokkien site la? HEhE.. then.. we ALL can learn also... n oh yea... i think we Kch ppl seldom use d term "beng pek" .. we usually say dong (HAhA! dong in Ali G's slang means... hehe... dun say lah.. pai seh)... like.. tia beh dong = dun understand

January 20, 2006 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts