Thursday, August 10, 2006

Challenge Sisuahlai

Two weeks today, I will be blogging in the paradise world of Kuching. I am looking for a fresh challenge... have you any ideas for Sisuahlai?


I set myself a challenge the other day. To be a vegetarian. Life must be so wonderful (so I thought) without ingesting easily-absorbable animal iron, no animal protein, to live like a cow. A doctor friend introduced me to this unconventional, minority lifestyle (whatever people say, vegetarianism is not a mainstream option). He took me to his vegetarian kitchen.

None of his utensils have touched animal products. Pure, he say. Siao, I say.

So he showed me how to prepare a typical vegetarian dish. He is originally from Bangalore. Some town, or city (whatever) in India.

"(My real name), this is how you make masala dosa!" He smiled and inadvertently showed his uncaffeinated spotlight bright white teeth... si beh kherng. He held up a potful of batter. Dosa is made from lentils and rice blended with water and left to ferment overnight, in his case, a few hours. This is life in the fast track. We are doctors, no patience. Patients are sick people.

He folded his sleeves and washed his hands ala scrubbing operating theatre-style. "Follow me."

I said, "No thanks. I can learn by observation, no need participation."

This was when he started crushing well-boiled potatoes with his bare hands. He added salt, spice (could not rememeber names, the only Indian spice I know is called curry), and onions into the mashing frenzy.

Then the dosa batter was spread on a heated pan. While another pot cooked the spiced up potatoes. The dosa slowly turned golden. And the cooked spice exuded this heavenly aroma. I wish one day there is an internet "olfactory" technology so that one can share the sense of smell. Yum.

"This is a classic vegetarian dish from my hometown." He preached some more about the virtues of being a vegetarian.

I nodded, not listening. I was too busy stuffing my face with masala dosa.

"Try this coconut chutney." He pushed more food in my direction.

With food of such high quality, I will swear loyalty to any allegiance. "Thank you Apoo." I left his kitchen, happily satieted, convinced this is THE lifestyle.

I went home an hour later, and seriously annoyed my wife. "Sorry for not informing you earlier." My guilt was evident in my voice, body language. I just could not have another meal after the masala dosa.

"I just have your chicken soup, ok?" I gingerly slurped the broth.

Proud, I was a vegetarian for one full hour! (I just heard on TV that vegetarian is a primitive word for bad hunter).

Who serves the best dosa (toh-sei) in Kuching? Let me know.


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wah seh giant stick of bread

August 08, 2006 8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thosai paper!!! yum yum~~ ^^

August 08, 2006 11:14 AM  
Blogger Francis Ho said...

Banana Leaf Restaurant at Satok area's not bad. Let me have d honour to buy d good doctor lunch there when he is back in meow meow land! :)

August 08, 2006 3:37 PM  
Blogger vagus said...

cannot man, no meat.
will die.

August 12, 2006 5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ammah Curry House, infront of UNIMAS medical faculty is another good place

August 14, 2006 3:39 PM  
Blogger sharon said...

Ammah Curry House, definitely!

August 18, 2006 11:06 PM  
Blogger aH_LiN said...

Ammah Curry House...behind Impiana Hotel, opposite UNIMAS medical faculty...Jalan Tun Abang Haji Adruce(TAZA) or Jalan Keretapi....
and Curry House in between Nanas Rd n Rubber Rd...the block beside Kuching Chicken Porridge...near roundabout...the block opposite Old Rex

August 23, 2006 6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » »

March 07, 2007 3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts