Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Back for Good

LIU this blog v. dig this blog

Ta-dah. It's good to be back. I'm blogging once more (insert your favourite Carpenters' song here). I feel so normal again. Returning to my safe, fictionalized world of Sisuahlai.

Now, a little update on Sisuahlai's little life. I have moved from the big cosmopolitan world of Kuching to a little village on the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia. People call it KL, capital of Malaysia, but actually it's a foreign land. Why? Because nobody speaks Hokkien here, except for this minority group who live along Jalan Ipoh. My mission here is to spread a little Hokkien goodness to the people of KL...

" do i look fly for a Kuching boy?" (apparently KL people speak like this all the time, when they don't speak their Cantonese)


Every single time I walked into a Chinese shop in KL, people would immediately assume I speak Cantonese. I don't.

My Cantonese is limited to words like em-goi, ho gwai, tiu, cheeh seen, mai dan and leng loi. Yes, I'm hopeless. But honestly, I much prefer the 'rough and ready' Kuching Hokkien as the standardized medium of Chinese communication. (I think I'm fighting an uphill battle here....)

So I am bent on saying ha-mik every single time someone wants to start a Cantonese conversation.

But for a Kuching boy, I think I am learning the KL way of life pretty quickly. So these are my learnings of KL for make benefit for the glorious town of Kuching:-


NOTABLE (RECENT) OBSERVATIONS/LEARNINGS:

(1) I can confirm this one. Everyone working in mamak stalls have the same name. Boss.

(2) 2007 is Visit Malaysia Year.

(3) Sex sells in KL. And I mean it in ringgit terms. In Kuching, sex is priceless. Because it equals marriage.

(4) The lowest unit of money in KL is the 1 ringgit note. Coins are called toll tokens or McDonald's charity money.

(5) KL DAP headquarters is the centre for outrageous complaints and mishap stories.

(6) 2007 is Visit Malaysia Year. Just in case you miss it the first time.

(7) Owning a pirate DVD as a foreigner is a lot riskier than owning one as a Malaysian. But owning 600,00 pirate DVDs in a single premise as a foreigner is simply asking for it. Then it's truly Malaysia My Second Home for these people.

(8) It's miserable being skint on a Saturday night in Kuching. It's a blessing being skint on a Saturday night in KL.

(9) Everyone speaks Cantonese in KL. Even the Bosses in mamak stalls.



So it's time we bring our brand of Hokkien to the people of KL. Join me.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, finally an update. I su-kak read your blog. So, did you meet any sua-teng-ka in your new lil village?

May 30, 2007 9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alan!

We met at Jagoya (or Jogoya) long time ago, remember? I was with Alvin who is from Kuching. Nice meeting you though. I've linked you up.

Oh, welcome to KL. Nah, I'm from Sibu but now working in KL, temporarily. Heheh!!!

Lu jing gu bo update liao. Lu eh blog jing SAK!!! I like!

May 30, 2007 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool t-shirt Siuahlai..hmm.. quite difficult for me to say it.. police traffic pic is a year ago? hmm..
I found your blog through the star online, probably we could exchange thought from time to time, do leave your 2cents when visiting my blog, see you around

May 31, 2007 11:58 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

hungry... nothing here to eat at cyberjaya, so spamming ur blog at the moment.

Welcome back! We should visit this really nice restaurant in Ampang.

June 01, 2007 1:00 PM  
Blogger Sisuahlai said...

BCK: Sua-teng-ka? Only one so far. Me.

Clare: Thanks. Should have more meet-ups like those in the future.

Dani: Cool t-shirt? You haven't seen my pants yet.

Nicocoa: Nice restaurant in Ampang? Where? Where? Text me when you're down in city centre.

June 01, 2007 1:42 PM  
Blogger justanothertragedy said...

*am chio am chio*

June 01, 2007 8:50 PM  
Blogger calvin said...

wa kong hokkien ee, tapi bo beng pek hami si SUA-TENG-KA la.

lu ee sai 'explain' bo?

kam sia :)

June 01, 2007 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, welcome to KL!Remember me? ...hint..charlie..Which part of KL are you at? Let's meet up and have Hokkien mee.

June 01, 2007 9:19 PM  
Blogger domhon said...

bro, WELCOME to KL ;)... definately needa catch up with u sometime soon; continue the drinkin game over at your awesome home. lucks on your job too.
PEACE.

June 03, 2007 4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats totally true with regards to SnoopDog. Whats the difference between Pai kia and Gangsta? Gansta makes hell loads of money from rapping and selling records, Pai Kia does it by being an Ah Long. Thats why parents are so against it. Btw, enjoyed reading your blog.

June 05, 2007 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh...why did you move to KL? Is it working in Kuching no future ?... :(

I'm still studying...so i dont have till 5 more years to think about that... :)

This could be personal but, mind sharing where you were educated? :) I do know for one thing that you are a doctor! ;)

Kuching lang li hai la liaw liaw ! :D

Kudos to HokkienSpeaking-Kuching-Lang-S

June 06, 2007 1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts