Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Guinness Day (and a sexy French)

Technically, you cannot call this gate-crashing. Kenny was just nice enough to extend "bring a friend" invitation to me. We were at Malaysia's Guinness Saint Patrick's Day launch held in Grand Millennium KL last night.

For those of you who are familiar with Irish festivities, yes, it was a little premature to celebrate Paddy's Day. But like any festivities these days, the earlier you celebrate, the more you'll sell. That is why Christmas in Europe starts in August (Selfridges London start selling Christmas decorations right after Summer!).

Every other guest I met at the launch was a media person. I was in a chatty mood, because it is not often a doctor-turned-broker gets to meet this group of people. I must say mixing work with parties is not a bad way to make a living. The only more interesting work is perhaps a dolphin saver (that's a personal opinion).

I was introduced to two young lads in the publishing industry, Wen Shern and Suri. I'm pretty sure these two guys have been invited to numerous parties and events, and if they do, they did pretty well to disguise their "worn-out, been there done that look". They were delightfully enthusiastic about their work and this event. I wish I could appear that way at 8am in my office every morning.


There, me drinking sarsi, Suri (middle) drinking Irish sarsi, Wern Shen (left) also drinking Irish sarsi.

The party has a celebratory ambiance to it despite the heavy marketing process underlying it. Guinness was free-flowing last night. The only other time I got to experience free-flowing Guinness was in a dream. So it did feel like a dream, just minus the leprechauns and talking shamrocks. Half way through the celebration, some dancers donning silly hats broke into some wild riverdance moves. Everybody in front started cheering, a handful were mystified. Suddenly everyone got teleported to Ireland. Well, it felt that way for a few seconds.


And of course, they had to play the obligatory Irish national anthem. U2's Beautiful Day.

The organisers really did a brilliant job. Not only was the guests treated to bottomless Guinness, we were also served karipap, sushi and nachos. Now this is what I call eclectic.

But the organisers went a step further. They brought Emmanuel Stroobant (Asian Food Channel's Chef in Black) to KL to show us what miracles Guinness could do to some dishes. Alright, weren't exactly miracles. Emmanuel was given the unenviable task to concoct dishes using Guinness as the ingredient.


He attempted.


He showed us the "moves".


Okay, Emmanuel, you did fine.

"Now Emmanuel, you be my chef, and I'll be the manager. I promise I won't put you through the agony of cooking anything containing stout again."

And this is Kenny trying the Guinness ice-cream and politely finishing it.



But the highlight of the evening, was meeting Nuffnang supremo, Tim (below, the one glowing with happiness abundance!). I hope he remembered our conversation, I am going to the Nuffnang Pajama Party! (see you all there)


6 Comments:

Blogger [ŠøŅıãäą] said...

ey you.
thanks for leaving a comment. hahaha. i'll link you, aight?

February 27, 2008 7:04 PM  
Blogger Sisuahlai said...

Sure! Keep the happy blog going... :)

February 27, 2008 9:10 PM  
Blogger [ŠøŅıãäą] said...

thanks sunshine.

sure will. you come support my blog ha? =P you support mine, i support yours la.

both nuffnangers wad =P

February 28, 2008 11:58 PM  
Blogger Sisuahlai said...

You'll get your wish Niaaa.

You going to the pajama party?

February 29, 2008 12:14 AM  
Blogger [ŠøŅıãäą] said...

sorry. am not. hahahaa. =D

you go enjoy there

February 29, 2008 10:23 PM  
Blogger David Cheong said...

Wow, awesome! I'm so jealous =(

Hahaha it looks awesome at the party!

March 12, 2008 12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts