Thursday, June 26, 2008

How to slaughter a well-formed song on 'moral' reasons with 'creative' sound editing


The guys at Hitz.fm continue to amuse. I say amuse as in to wallow myself in laughter mixed with grief and disbelief.

I have earlier written an entry on Kate Perry's single, I, a female smooched a fellow female and I loved it! because it was liberalising to hear song about hedonistic (lesbianic?) overture being played over our national radiowaves. But good things do not last long, the smooching part was soon edited out to cater to the presumed Malaysian social norm. I wrote that the resultant effect was worse, the edited version sounded even more profane and wrong.

One anon commentor, purportedly someone from Hitz.fm, wrote:

Hey there i'm actually working for hitz.fm and i tell you you won't believe the arguments that we had in the office over this song ever since it got into rotation. Don't get me wrong i totally agree with you that the editing is really unnecessary and it just made the song sounds more vulgar than it is. But then again we do have the local ministry of communication watching our every move(and mind you they really monitor especially US)So when i finally stumble upon this blog than i know that i have a solid ammo to back the fact the the edit is actually making the song sounds more vulgar and i'm not the only 1 that is feeling that way.So i manage to convince them to flip the edit instead.Thank you for bringing up the point of case and actually listening to us. Thanks again.

Anon, you are most welcome. (check out the choice of word ammo, that sounded like a modern gun-culture equivalent of back-stabbing. :P!)

Guess what? The song was changed once again!

This time they left in the word KISS. Instead they muffled out the word girl!! The latest version (heard it yesterday at around 6.30pm) goes like this:

I kissed a muffmuff and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chapstick
I kissed a muffmuff just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don’t mind it
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
Don’t mean I’m in love tonight
I kissed a muffmuff and I liked it
I liked it

Sweet idea Hitz.fm. Only if we, the listeners are kids. Everyone can work out what they did. How else do you explain "I hope my boyfriend don’t mind it", "It felt so wrong, it felt so right"? Please don't slaughter a perfectly formed song, just because you like the tune but do not condone the lyric does not make such editing acceptable. It ruins a good song.

:( , besides is it really that wrong to kiss a girl?

I don't go to gay clubs. But I have a feeling this Kate Perry number is a popular hit in those clubs. Can anyone confirm?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Older Posts